Our purpose at the Molson Coors Beverage Company (“MCBC”) is to delight the world’s beer drinkers. We are the world’s family brewer, brewing and selling our beer for over 350 years around the world. We’re TalentBrewers - we believe in our brands and people; we believe that a truly inspiring and diverse place to work is a must. We want you to join our team of passionate self-starters who believe the world is full of untapped opportunities. So, if you get fired up about making a real difference as part of a winning team like we do, we want to hear from you.
In the role of Director, Commodity Tax, you’ll be reporting to the Vice-President, Tax. In this role you will primarily focus on the new SAP system implementation in Canada and ultimately will lead the Indirect tax team, once the current Director retires, in ensuring that Molson Coors Canada (“MCC”) and its affiliates comply with all Canadian, federal and provincial commodity/indirect tax laws including: GST/HST, QST, PST, federal excise and customs duties, provincial alcoholic beverage taxes and environmental levies. This role can be based in Montreal or Toronto.
- Leads and participates on the new SAP system implementation in Canada as the indirect tax Subject Matter Expert (or “SME”);
- Leads and supports the commercial team as the indirect tax SME with development of beverage innovations and advises on the application of commodity taxes.
- Leads the team and oversees timely preparation and filing of commodity tax returns and payments for MCC, its pension plans and certain affiliates. Reviews and approves tax returns filing, tax account reasonability tests, account reconciliations and journal entries for commodity taxes.
- Reviews and approves Standard Operating Procedures (“SOPs”) relating to commodity tax return preparation & account reconciliations performed by our Global Business Services unit located abroad.
- Leads government and external auditor audits, discussions and issue resolution with support from the Manager, Commodity Tax. Reviews federal and provincial budget releases, administrative materials published by tax authorities, accounting & legal firms notifying taxpayers of pending commodity tax changes. Develops possible strategies/actions/options for compliance with same for consideration by MCC/MCBC Finance & IT.
- Leads and participates in MCC and/or MCBC Finance, IT &/or Procurement led commodity tax compliance and/or business process improvement initiatives as SME proposing and/or critiquing possible solutions, solution testing and post-implementation monitoring in “go-live” environment.
- Supervises preparation by Manager, Commodity Tax of ruling requests and replies/responses to inquiries from the above-mentioned internal and external users/user groups and/or prepares such correspondence herself/himself.
- Supports various other business units in achieving their objectives (e.g. Internal Audit with Sarbanes Oxley (or “SOX”) compliance, Treasury with cash flow forecasting, etc.) by guiding and/or supervising Manager, Commodity Tax and Global Business Services unit in the performance of their assigned tasks.
- Prepares and/or oversees preparation by Manager, Commodity Tax or accounting, legal, external consultants of commodity tax objections and appeals.
- Enhances commodity tax awareness within MCC & its affiliates by developing and maintaining his/her personal knowledge of constantly evolving changes in tax legislation, regulations & administrative policies and imparting knowledge of same throughout the organization.
The Other Qualifications:
- You have a University degree in business administration, commerce, accounting, law &/or tax with a medium level of accounting knowledge. You are familiar with inventory accounting in a manufacturing environment.
- You have 10-15+ years of commodity tax knowledge developed through relevant work experience in an accounting or law firm, industry tax department or government tax department.
- You have some audit experience preferably related to commodity taxes.
- You have exposure to commodity tax garnered through completion of basic and/or in-depth CPA commodity tax course or equivalent.
- You have knowledge of and ability to utilize tax & finance applications software including SAP & BW. You are familiar with and able to use Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, etc.) and other business applications.
- You have the above education and experience plus regular participation in local tax study groups, Tax Executives' Institute (TEI) or similar professional tax organizations, membership on foregoing organization's committees, attendance at CPA Commodity Tax Symposium, TEI events & webcasts offered by government, accounting & law firms. You are inquisitive and have a willingness to learn.
- On-going education is required to stay abreast of tax changes that may impact the business.
Work Perks that You Need to Know About:
- As the world’s family brewer, we have the scale to make big things happen and still get to know colleagues on a first name basis across the globe.
- We play our part to make a difference – from charitable donations to hitting the streets together to build parks – giving back to the community is part of our culture and who we are.
- You can become a Certified Beer Enthusiast through in-house training that includes everything from brewing techniques to beer tasting and food pairings.
- Participation in our Total Rewards program with a competitive base salary, incentive plans, parental leave, health, dental and pension benefits.
- Work within a fast paced and innovative company, meeting passionate colleagues and partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences
At Molson Coors we seek diversity. Differing perspectives lead to challenging the expected, which keeps new ideas bubbling up. We’re an equal opportunity employer and invite applications from candidates from all backgrounds, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic. We take pride in celebrating our unique brew.